Tuesday, October 26, 2010

12 Little Pumpkins

Here are some super cute Halloween Luminaries that were very fun to create.


What You Need:
Mason Jars (Canning Jars)
Acrylic Paint - I used Wood Paints in Orange, Metallic Black, and Gold
Paint Brushes
Sharpie Markers
Ribbon and Rick-Rack
Hot Glue Gun
Newspaper
Water and Paper Towels

I decided to paint on my kitchen table so I layed out newspaper to protect my table cloth. Start with a mason jar, remove the lid. Canning jars normally have a 2 part lid (the rim which screws onto the jar and a silver disk) you can get rid of the silver disks and set the rims off to the side.



Paint the jars one by one with orange paint. One coat will be very streaky, two coats looks antiqued, three coats will look very clean looking. I only did two. Two things that I learned are very helpful are first off let the paint COMPLETELY dry, and I mean COMPLETELY dry. The paint will peel and then you have a sort of spotty looking. Second, while paint your second and third coats make sure when rinse out your brushes that all the water is pressed out of them. If there is any extra water in the brush this will also make the paint bubble and peel. Not a pretty look.

Once they are painted let them dry completely. I let them dry overnight to ensure that the Sharpie would go on well. However, it doesn't. Some times it won't write, sometimes it "scraps" off the paint, other times it works fine. I don't know anything that really works though. So I drew on all the faces I wanted.

Next I used my metallic black paint and painted in the faces. While these were drying I painted the sides of  the rims black and gold.

I then let everything dry completely and painted a second coat on both the black facial features and the rims. Once that dried, I hot glued ribbon and gold rick-rack to the rims to add a little added glitz. Then final outcome came out like this:
The paint is a little delicate so to further protect them I sprayed them with 2 coats of Clear Lacquer. This also makes them nice and shiny. 

*FINISHED PRODUCT PICTURES SOON TO COME*

No comments: